K2 Instrument Snowboard | 2023
For some of us each run at the resort is like listening to a jazz band play a live show - it’s spontaneous, making decisions on the fly, where to carve, where to slash, and how fast to roll into that side hit. The easiest way to describe it is that you simply get into the groove, and like a musician riffs on their stand-up bass, the K2 Instrument is the snowboard that you need to navigate the contours of the terrain as they come. Before we talk tech, let’s talk about shape. This directional model from K2 features a traditional camber line and utilizes our Volume Shift™ design to add just the right amount of width to the board for laying trench on groomers without reducing responsiveness. A longer radius in the tip of the board eases turn initiation, while a deeper sidecut underfoot helps to rail hard arcing turns. The Instrument features a .75” inch (1.9 cm) set back and 20mm of taper to help it plane out in the deep stuff. Now, about the tech. It all starts with a hard, fast Sintered 4000 base with a full 360 degree wrap steel edge. Inside, a renewable S1 core is durable and aimed for stronger edge pressure. Carbon Torque Forks™ extend out from the binding inserts to the edges of the snowboard at 45º angles for responsive power-transfer while maneuvering through tricky terrain, and the entire package is wrapped in ICG™ 10 Biax Fiberglass with tip-to-tail carbon stringers for chatter reduction and to deliver stability when it gets a lil’ rowdy.
- S1 Core - Smooth flexing and durable enough to pack a five-year warranty, the S1 Core is made from three renewable timber species - Bamboo, Aspen, and Paulownia. Aspen and Bamboo work together to highlight the snap and response of this wood and a Bamboo-dominant underfoot section at 30° to increase strength, supercharge the edge-to-edge response, and increase the pressure distribution along the edge. We’ve also placed lightweight paulownia in the tip and tail to help to reduce swing weight.
- ICG 10 Glass w/ Carbon - Integrating tip-to-tail carbon fiber stringers into fiberglass layups ensures a smooth power release in and out of turns while increasing the snowboard's pop, liveliness, and longevity without adding unnecessary rigidity.
- Sintered 4000 Base - Our Sintered 4000 base absorbs wax deep into the material for relentless glide and unrivaled durability.
- Carbon Torque Forks - Carbon fiber stringers in a V-shape extend from just outside the inserts to the contact points in the tip and tail for added pop, responsiveness, and stability.
- Volume Shift - We’ve moved volume from the tips and tails of traditional snowboard shapes and placed it underfoot where it can be better controlled. This makes a wider, shorter design that maintains the same float and stability of a traditional board, but increases mobility and maneuverability. More slashing and better lines in the trees are now a reality.
- 2x4 Insert Binding Mounting - 2x4 Insert packs allow for secure binding mounting while optimizing stance-width options.
Time-tested, secure, and stable.
- Flex - 7/10
- Board Shape - Directional